Sunday, September 28, 2014

#girlgoneYLd in Chile

Hi everyone. This is just a shameless post about Young Life and nothing more. 

There's probably gonna be a lot of Young Life jargon so I'm really sorry if you're a little lost. Plz feel free to forward all questions/comments/concerns about Jesus, Young Life, or about what my bowel movements have been looking like lately to jessicarosejansen@gmail.com. I'm serious. THX 4 UNDERSTANDING.

This weekend I visited the Young Life folks in a town called Rancagua, an hour south of Santiago. I showed up in Rancagua on Friday afternoon only having ever talked to the area director (Gabriel) via Facebook. He came to the bus station and picked me up and took me out to lunch with his wife and kid. THEY REFUSED TO LET ME PAY FOR MYSELF because they claim that they invited me out which ISNT EVEN TRUE because I LITERALLY INVITED MYSELF to come visit. Then we picked up some club supplies, grabbed another leader and went to the first club (Wyldlife). It wasn't a typical club because they were celebrating two birthdays so it was just hanging out with a short club talk and EMPANADAS OF COURSE. Next we went to the Young Life club but showed up late so I was only there for the end of the game and the talk (about the Prodigal Son, my favorite). As we approached the clubhouse Gabriel proceeded to tell me, "Oh ya, Jess. This is the most dangerous street in Rancagua. It's the poorest and has the most drugs. One time we were having a leader meeting here and we heard gunshots and there was someone dead on the corner." AND THIS IS THE NEIGHBORHOOD WHERE YOUNG LIFE HAS THEIR CLUB. Classic. After club we fit 7 adult humans and 1 toddler human into Gabriel's small Kia car and drove to Telepizza. The pizza had corn on it so that's new. Finally at midnight I got punted at one of the Wyldlife leader's house. I felt like a 10-year-old getting dropped off for a sleepover. And turns out that the sleepover was in HEAVEN. I literally slept in a house full of angels. Cecilia and her husband both work. And they are both Wyldlife leaders. And they currently have two Cuban immigrants living in their house because they had nowhere else to go so they opened up their home. And they kicked their daughter of her room so I could stay there and their daughter was happy to do so. And she offered me all the fruit and water in the world and told me to treat their home like my own. And then she friended me on Facebook and posted on my wall wishing me sweet dreams AGAIN after I'd already gone to bed. JESUS IS ALIVE IN RANCAGUA, CHILE YA'LL. 

Gabriel and his family came over the next morning and desayunared with me and we all talked more about Young Life and life and Jesus and cultural differences and everything under the Chilean sun. Some v interesting stuff worth sharing:
  • Young Life in Chile accidentally got started because there was a guy in Rancagua that loved Jesus and was hanging out with the troubled youth in town. Then that guy went to Nicaragua and found out about Young Life there and realized OOPS THAT'S WHAT I'VE BEEN DOING LOL. So then he came back and officially started YL in Rancagua. A few years later Gabriel and his family took over. And here we are today. 
  • We talked about how Young Life molds itself to individual cultures. Gabriel told me a story about how social gatherings are illegal in communist Vietnam unless a birthday is being celebrated. So they just celebrate a birthday at Young Life club every week in Vietnam. Another thing I love is that Young Life is rarely run by foreigners. The majority of the time the Area Directors/leaders are from the country they're working in. Which in my opinion is SO IMPORTANT. Let's cut that white savior nonsense out whenever we can!
  • WORK CREW EXISTS HERE. Gabriel takes his kids to work crew at Young Life camps in Peru. Enough said. 
  • I asked Gabriel why he thinks kids are drawn to Jesus even within the heavily religious and heavily hypocritical church culture in Chile. And he said that kids tell him that they love the Jesus that they learn about and see in Young Life because the leaders actually live out what they preach. Which is NOT what these kids are used to here. God's love is made real to them through their leaders. And that's really effing cool. Gosh I hope that I too can live out what I preach every day. I'm actually positive that that will never stop being my prayer or my struggle for the rest of my life. 
  • Because Gabriel is currently the face of Young Life in Chile, he goes to all the regional meetings and trainings. Which means he knows all the Young Life country directors and various area directors and leaders in Latin America. Which means he hears ALL THE STORIES. So he just told me story after story. An Area Director in Guatemala literally living in a dump, clubs in Dominican Republic run in the street with no lights or sound or building, an Area Director and his wife in Honduras having to flee the country to El Salvador because his wife accidentally witnessed a murder, of Young Life in Ecuador having to have a separate team just to focus on meeting the physical needs of kids, and of a gringo Area Director in Venezuela being expelled from the communist country by Hugo Chávez himself simply for being a gringo and doing what he was doing. Every time I finally don't feel 100% ignorant about the world I hear stories like this and remember that I know nothing.
What Gabriel and his leaders do here is hard work. And I am absolutely ten thousand percent encouraged by them. Just a bunch of ordinary people trying to follow Jesus by going out into the mess that is life and living it with kids. And somehow Jesus' love becomes visible through that. 

Young Life. Stripping away everything that isn't Jesus and his Gospel since 1941.

Also Gabriel told me I have the invite to come back whenever I want because "en Young Life somos familia". I might just quit school in Santiago and go live in Rancagua. Bye losers. 

Also I just remembered I have a $20 Olive Garden gift card so if anyone's tryna go with me in January hmu. 

Also *shout-out* to God because all week I'd been praying that somehow my Spanish would miraculously be better so I could actually communicate with the Young Life folk. WELL GUESS WHO DIDN'T HAVE ANY TROUBLE COMMUNICATING. Somehow between this time last Sunday and now my brain started working. Coincidence or Jesus? WE'LL NEVER KNOW. 





No comments:

Post a Comment