Friday, October 10, 2014

just another week without ranch dressing

WARNING: real crunched for time these days. I would love to go into more detail about everything (specifically about what Jesus is teaching me) but I guess you will all just have to wait until January when you take me out to In-N-Out to hear more of the dirty deets. Until then....

Last week I went to a salsoteca and watched every Chilean in the world move their hips the exact same way. HOW. 

One day on the metro this scary guy with a mask and a cape came on and I was scared until he started playing beautiful music and cracking jokes and engaging everyone on the metro AND THEN he sat down with a little kid on the floor and played music with him and it was the most beautiful thing and all I could think was THIS IS CHURCH.

I bought a missionary skirt and a bilingual Bible this week so I think that means I have to be a missionary now, right?

Young Life Slo County is killing it in my absence. I received a photo of a 21-year-old man in a pink furry vest intended for a 14-month-old infant. Wes Zimmerman--bringing kids to the feet of Jesus the best way he knows how.

Yesterday I discovered Calle Bandera. A street lined with thirty-five thrift shops. THIRTY-FIVE. And the wonderful thing is that NO ONE here likes the stuff that I like. I was so overwhelmed by it all that I ended up not buying a single thing. WHAT DO YOU BUY WHEN YOU LIKE EVERYTHING.

On Saturday I hiked around with four DELIGHTFUL humans (2 of whom I met that day) in the mountains of Santiago. There were rickety bridges and hippie communes and waterfalls and everything important ever. Here's a quick bio of my four new friends: 1. A pastor of a progressive church in the suburbs of Santiago. 2. An angel who is married to that pastor. 3. A Chilean who got kicked out of his church for asking too many questions (lol) and started making church happen in homes in his community instead. 4. A gringa who's married to that previously mentioned Chilean question asker who lived in Tacna, Peru for a year (aka the only town in Peru I was afraid to be in) and now is basically a self-supported missionary who's main objective in life is to open her home and life to anyone and everyone. All day I could think was HOW DID I GET HERE. WHY AM I HIKING ON PRIVATE LAND WHERE PEOPLES HORSES ARE JUST TIED UP TO TREES TALKING THEOLOGY IN SPANISH WITH A THIRTY SOMETHING YEAR OLD CHILEAN MAN.

On Sunday I attended the church of Banda ConmociĆ³n for the second time. I actually don't think a purer manifestation of God exists. Twenty incredibly talented SOULS are lined up on that stage playing music and dancing around together. How creative r u God for having music be something humans are naturally inclined to make and enjoy. Some people believe in God because sunsets. I believe in God BECAUSE BANDA CONMOCION.

And yesterday I just had one of my favorite days here ever. Mostly for reasons that no one would find exciting but me. Just really obsessed with all the humans here.

Disclaimer: This blog mostly talks about the highlights. And the stuff I'm most excited to share. And my proudest moments. But guess what. There are days when I sit in my living room for 5 hours and do homework. And there are moments when the food isn't omg to die for. And there are moments when I'm sweaty and cranky on the metro. And there are moments when I really miss my people at home. Or really worry about my people at home. So LET IT BE KNOWN that I'm not in some euphoric fantasy land where everything is "the best experience of my life" all the time. So if you're reading this abroad, or if you plan on going abroad, just know we have the freedom to be humans while we do so. We have the opportunity to engage the hard parts of life in a foreign country. And that is what makes study abroad the experience of a lifetime.

So ya, sometimes it's hard being here. But I've been trying not to weep for the past 36 hours because I just feel so right where I'm supposed to be. And I'm so thankful to be here that I could throw up.

Also, some of the Chileans have been reading my blog with the help of google translate. Sweet Cecilia even worked on translating it during her English lesson. I CAN'T TELL IF I'M HONORED OR HORRIFIED.

Peace + blessings from the southern hemisphere. Bye everyone.







No comments:

Post a Comment